Installation Problems

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I have been having a problem installing this project on my development machine at work. The installer (SketchFlowWP7.msi) runs without error, but Blend does not show the “Windows Phone SketchFlow Application” in its New Project dialog. There are no errors in the machine’s event log.

Investigating further I discovered that no files are being added to Blend’s “ProjectTemplates” or “Templates” directories.

Digging deeper I ran the MSI from the command line with verbose logging. This yielded a rather large log file. In the log file I could see that the installer correctly determined the source and destination directories

MSI (c) (B0:94) [10:56:25:754]: Dir (target): Key: NEWPROPERTY1	, Object: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\WindowsPhone\
MSI (c) (B0:94) [10:56:25:754]: Dir (target): Key: NEWPROPERTY2	, Object: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\Templates\en\CSharp\WindowsPhone\

Then a little further down the log file I was able to find the command line that kicks off the actual installation. As you can see the directories are still correct.

MSI (s) (1C:44) [10:56:49:735]: Command Line: TARGETDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ NEWPROPERTY2=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\Templates\en\CSharp\WindowsPhone\ NEWPROPERTY1=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 4\ProjectTemplates\en\CSharp\WindowsPhone\ CURRENTDIRECTORY=C:\Users\jxrichar\Downloads\Microsoft\Dev Tools\Blend 4\Test CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=7856 USERNAME=Jeff SOURCEDIR=C:\Users\jxrichar\Downloads\Microsoft\Dev Tools\Blend 4\Test\ ACTION=INSTALL EXECUTEACTION=INSTALL ROOTDRIVE=C:\ INSTALLLEVEL=1 SECONDSEQUENCE=1 ADDLOCAL=DefaultFeature ACTION=INSTALL

During the installation the installer decides to change where the destination directories are:

MSI (s) (1C:44) [10:56:49:801]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding NEWPROPERTY1 property. Its value is 'C:\ProjectTemplatesFolder\'.
MSI (s) (1C:44) [10:56:49:801]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding NEWPROPERTY2 property. Its value is 'C:\ItemTemplatesFolder\'.

Afterwards the installation ends with an error code of 0 (success).

MSI (c) (B0:94) [10:56:58:467]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: SketchFlow for Windows Phone 7. Product Version: 1.0.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.

And sure enough, the project file (csWindowsPhonePrototype.zip) and the item files (SketchFlowCompScreen.zip and SketchFlowNavScreen.zip) are located out of the root directory instead of inside Blend. I was able to get the installation working by manually copying the above .zip files to their correct directories. :-)

Clearly there is some configuration on my machine that causes the installer to misbehave without generating any errors . :-(

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Can you please specify the exact folders in which I need to move the csWindowsPhonePrortype.zip and other files? I've tried mimicking the folder structure of other Project templates, but to no avail. 

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 3:52 AM

If you are having installation problems, please get in touch with me at unnir at microsoft dot com and I can help out. Thanks.