Navigate to specific PanoramaItem?

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I have a TextBlock on the first PanoramaItem and I want to be able to click on the TextBlock and have prototype navigate to one of the other PanoramaItems inside the same Panorama.  I tried adding a Trigger on the TextBlock but I could only get it to go to another screen.

Is it possible to navigate from one PanoramaItem to another? 

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I think the model you are thinking of is similar to having a web page, clicking on a link, then jumping to the relevant part of the page. That's not a recommended interaction here. You can think of the Panorama as the central hub of the app where you can quickly scan through a lot of related information, if you are clicking on an element to get to more information then you should really be navigating to an appropriately designed app page rather than trying to 'sub' jump between panorama panels.

There's a great MSDN page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202892(v=VS.92).aspx that talks in detail about the Panorama control and usage. This is part of the User Experience Design Guidelines for Windows Phone on MSDN.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Jon

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Jon,

Thanks for the link to the MSDN article! You were correct about what I was trying to do. My intent, however misguided, was to reduce the number of pages/levels of the app by putting app functionality in the top level Panorama.

Ok, now on to the next problem; how to create a pivot page, with phone chrome and behavior, linked to the top level panorama.

Jeff